Thyroid cancer (C73)
The following material has been sourced from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
|2013 incidence/2014 mortality|
|Risk to age 75||1 in 222||1 in 81||1 in 118||1 in 4,206||1 in 3,108||1 in 3,567|
|Risk to age 85||1 in 178||1 in 70||1 in 100||1 in 1,487||1 in 1,371||1 in 1,430|
|Mean age (years)||54.8||51.5||52.4||72.4||73.3||72.9|
|Median age (years)||55.0||51.0||52.0||74.5||76.0||75.0|
|Estimated number for 2017 and 2018|
Figure 1: Incidence and mortality ASRs of thyroid cancer, by sex, 1982–2018
Figure 2: Incidence (2013) and mortality (2014) rates of thyroid cancer, by age group and sex
|Prevalence as at the end of 2012 (number)|
|Relative survival in 2009–2013 (%)|
|1-year relative survival at diagnosis||96.1||98.2||97.7|
|5-year relative survival at diagnosis||92.9||97.2||96.1|
|5-year conditional relative survival for those already survived 1 year after diagnosis||95.9||99.0||98.2|
|5-year conditional relative survival for those already survived 5 years after diagnosis||97.5||99.4||98.9|
|5-year conditional relative survival for those already survived 10 years after diagnosis||96.7||100.0||99.3|
|5-year conditional relative survival for those already survived 15 years after diagnosis||98.5||99.8||99.6|
Figure 3: Five-year relative survival from thyroid cancer, by sex, Australia, 1984–1988 to 2009–2013
- Risk factors based on IARC (2014) (see Chapter 1).
- The 2013 incidence data include estimates for NSW. Mean and median age for 2013 incidence was calculated excluding NSW.
- Deaths registered in 2012 and earlier are based on the final version of cause of death data; deaths registered in 2013 and 2014 are based on revised and preliminary versions, respectively, and are subject to further revision by the ABS.
- The rates were age standardised to the 2001 Australian Standard Population and are expressed per 100,000 population.
- The 2014–2018 estimates for incidence are based on 2004–2013 incidence data. The 2015–2018 estimates for mortality are based on joinpoint analysis of 1968–2013 mortality data for males and 1996–2013 mortality data for females (see Appendix D).
- Relative survival was calculated with the period method, using the period 2009–2013 (Brenner & Gefeller 1996). Note that this period does not contain incidence data for 2013 for NSW (see Appendix C).
Sources: AIHW ACD 2013; AIHW NMD.