It’s OK to ask health professionals questions and to ask for more information. Some people find it overwhelming to receive lots of information, while others want as much information as they can find. It may take a while to feel confident to ask questions.
Tips for talking with health professionals
- Tell the people managing your care how much you want to be involved with decisions about your treatment.
- Ask as many questions as you need to, and don’t worry about asking the same question more than once.
- Write down questions when they occur to you so you can remember them when you meet with members of your healthcare team.
- Ask a relative or friend to come to your appointments and ask them to write down what the doctor or nurse says.
- If your doctor agrees, tape record your discussions so you and your family can listen again later.
- Ask your doctor or nurse to write down what was said during your appointments.
- Ask if there’s a breast care nurse you can meet with to go through any other questions you might have.