Tips to prevent and relieve symptoms of skin changes
The following tips are based on the experience of health professionals and women themselves:
- wear sun protective clothes or use sun screen when you are in the sun
- avoid irritants – protect the skin from chemicals (for example, perfumes, deodorants, hair dyes or hair spray)
- keep skin folds dry
- keep hydrated – drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated as dehydration is a common cause of skin dryness
- avoid extreme weather conditions like severe cold and hot weather – these conditions can aggravate dry skin
- wash clothes in a mild detergent – look for detergents labelled ‘allergen free’ or ‘unscented’.